Common Definitions of “Infertility”:
1) Infertility is the diminished ability or the inability to conceive and have offspring.
Infertility can be due to many causes. Studies have shown that a little more than half the cases of infertility are a result of female conditions. The remainder is caused by sperm disorders and other factors.
Acupuncture and Infertility
Acupuncture works very well for infertility in both men and women. Acupuncture treats infertility by working to restore the body’s natural ability to reproduce, so results are more natural and come with fewer side effects than conventional infertility treatments.
Whether you are just beginning treatment, or have had previous unsuccessful experiences with IVF, ICSI, Blastocyst Transfers, Pre-implanation, Donor Eggs, or Genetic Diagnosis (PGD), we are confident that we can help you realize your dreams of having a baby.
Causes and Symptoms in Oriental Medicine
• Weak Kidney Energy Levels: In oriental medicine, the Kidney is the main root of our Qi (chi) and also regulates reproduction.
Symptoms: Irregular or weak menstruation cycles, color fading, dizziness, back pain, and tiredness of eyes.
• Liver Qi-Lumps: The liver is important because blood is stored in the liver and transferred with a woman’s Liver Qi. A woman’s Liver Qi dictates her mental and physical mood.
Symptoms: Irregular or weak menstruation cycles, the need to take frequent deep-breaths, and pain in the side ribs.
• Bladder Dampness: Our Spleen Qi is weakened by cold food, and contact with coldness. A break in water metabolism also creates dampness. When the blood in our bodies and this dampness join, it blocks the meridian of the uterus.
Symptoms: Irregular or no menstruation cycles, drastic weight fluctuations, pale face, fullness of chest, and a weak appetite.
• Heat Dampness: Heat and dampness combine to block the meridian of the uterus.
Symptoms: The duration of the menstruation cycle is extended and often accompanied by pain in the lower abdominal area, low back, waist and pelvis.
• Blood Lumps: Blood lumps create difficulty in Qi and blood circulation and may cause one to be very sensitive or stressed easily.
Symptoms: Weak, continuous menstruation cycle with severe menstrual pain.
• Insufficient Blood: Some are naturally born with insufficient Qi and blood and thus, cannot provide enough blood to the uterus.
Symptoms: Delayed menstruation with bright colored blood or weak cycles, skinny yellow-toned faces, and often accompanied by heart palpitations.
• Irregular menstruation
• A traditional tongue and pulse check-up; a meridian pathway energy check-up; and a body analyzer check-up which includes height, weight, body fat, water density, metabolism and internal medicine test.
Reduces and eliminates blood to tonify the functions of the reproductive system.
• Ear Acupuncture
The ear is the reaction point of the thalamus and pituitary glands, and can improve fertility with continuous stimulation.
Specifically targets points that aid the body and reproductive organs function.
Reduces or removes coldness from the uterus and ovaries.
If using acupuncture and herbs alone, it can take 3 6 months to normalize the menstrual cycle and ovulation. If you are undergoing assisted reproductive treatments, it is ideal to begin acupuncture immediately.
Despite the common misconception that women over the age of 40 cannot become pregnant, there is in fact a high chance to become pregnant after 40. Below are the experiences of two recent patients:
• G.P. is a therapist over the age of 40. Before she came to our office, she went to several fertility clinics with no success and was simply told that a woman of her age would have difficulty becoming pregnant. She refused to give up and finally consulted with us. After 16 treatments in our clinic, she became pregnant and was thrilled.
• Lisa D. wrote us the letter below:
© 2011 Dr. Benjamin Rho. All Rights Reserved.
site design James F. Dean